What is the last thing you searched on the internet and why?
What better way to gauge the weirdness of a person by snooping through their search history? Lucky for you, my search history will not let you down. It took me a minute to even figure out how to locate said history, but before long I was staring down the last six things I managed to Google, most of which had to be at 3 a.m. when I was not able to sleep. Let’s get to it, shall we?
West Wing Remake?
My husband and I LOVE the West Wing. We usually watch it from start to finish once a year (usually when all the election non-sense begins). The show is almost 20 years old, and with the recent flux of 90’s & 2000’s shows being remade today, we have often wondered what a West Wing reboot would look like. Oddly enough, we started our annual West Wing binge on New Year’s Day and a week later an article popped up hinting at the idea that cast members and writers were in SMALL talks about a remake. I read it, was excited, but wanted further confirmation that this wasn’t all bologna, so I took to google for more concrete evidence.
How many ounces in a gallon?
One of my 2019 goals was to drink more water, actually, only water. I can say that 14 days into 2019 the only non-water beverage I have had is 2 diet Mt. Dews. I have had no milk (wow), no juice and no Starbucks. On New Year’s I bought the biggest athletic bottle I could find (64 oz) and I needed to know how many times I had to fill it to make it to my gallon a day. The answer is 2 times because there are 128 ounces in a gallon!
Medical Alert Systems?
As I have mentioned before, we moved my mom in with us 2 years ago while she undergoes treatments for end stage kidney failure. One of our biggest hurdles is Matt and I’s ability to get out of the house for alone time but not stressed or worried about mom being alone at the house. We found that a medical alert bracelet would help ease our mind. There are tons of options for medical alert systems and the services they provide vary, but we finally found one that checked all the boxes.
How many birds can’t fly? And is a racoon a marsupial?
Welcome to the “I googled this at 3 a.m.” portion of our post. I honestly have NO memory of searching for these, but I am not surprised, this sounds exactly like the trivial type of stuff that would keep me up at night.
How much does the average person spend a week on groceries?
My husband and I are working so hard to get his student loans paid off quicker than expected that we have been trying to see where can make cuts. It is no secret that buying and preparing all the groceries for a week is more budget friendly than eating out, we just wanted to make sure we were in the right spot.
For better or for worse, here are my most recent internet searches. What is one of the last few things you have searched for?
There seems to be this trend going around on the Facebook where you post your first ever Facebook profile picture along with your most recent profile picture and see how much you’ve “aged.” Well luckily for me, I don’t need the comparison of two pictures to tell me I’ve changed over the last 14 years, but it’s been a slow day so I’ll play along.
The very first picture I posted was on Dec. 6th 2006. It was from my Junior prom and was shot with a Sony Mavica camera, ok probably not, but I bet the quality was close. The picture size was so small and pixelated that I don’t feel that it fits the need of the task at hand. (Kids today will never know the struggle when it comes to adequate picture quality)
Because of the terrible picture quality, I cheated a bit and chose the next picture. Oddly enough both pictures are shared with the same person in almost identical poses.
Here I am, (on the right of course). Let’s talk a little about the
girl young lady in the picture for a minute, shall we?
- She’s 19 years old
- In her 1st year of college at Indiana State University
- Is pictured with her freshman roommate Molly who just happens to be one of her closest friends from high school.
- Her eyes and heart in this picture say “smile for the camera” her stomach and her brain are asking “I wonder if it’s pierogi night in the dining hall”
- She just died her hair for the first time and feels like she is on top of the world
- Is wearing a low-cut shirt, which is surprising because her standard attire in HS was sweats and a hoodie..
- Wearing a shell necklace that was a pain to put on and her hair always got caught in it
- She’s never had a boyfriend, hence the hair dye, silly necklace and low-cut shirt
- Not wearing any make up, but doesn’t appear to need it (yet).
- She is smiling but not fully because she needs braces and is a poor college student who can’t afford them
Now, let me introduce my current profile picture
- Right off the bat, it must be noted that I am only allowed to take pictures with my left side showing…
- This picture was taken in October of 2018
- She is 30 years and living in Texas
- Her hair is dyed once again partly because it makes her feel better but also because she doesn’t know what her real hair color is anymore
- She’s not wearing a shell necklace because she is a busy lady who doesn’t have time for articles of clothing/accessories that are uncomfortable
- She is pictured next to her first boyfriend who is also her Husband of almost 9 years
- She is smiling with her teeth because she worked hard her sophomore year of college to pay for braces at the age of 21
- Her face is loaded with make up because the sun, hormones and stress have not been kind to her over the years lol
- She’s gained weight, lost weight than gained weight back. (She’s losing it again btw)
- She’s pictured at a mall which is big for her because she prefers not to leave the house 80 % of the time
- Her eyes say “yay! A cute picture with my husband!” His eyes say “Hurry up, people are looking at us weird!”
So, have I aged? Well duh. There is a 12 year difference between these pictures. I don’t think 2006 Jennifer had the slightest clue what 2018 Jennifer would be doing, but even with all the curve balls life has thrown her, I doubt she imagined her life could be this good.
Have you done the “have I aged challenge” on facebook? Were you surpised with your findings?
What are some of the first things you do when you wake up in the morning?
I’m not a morning person, but I don’t need to tell you that, you are about to come to that conclusion all on your own. Now, may I present to you a morning at the Shilder House.
- Try to figure out where the annoying sound is coming from
- Kick a cat or dog off my legs so that I can roll over to search for annoying sound
- Frantically searching night stand and floor for annoying sound
- Find annoying sound under my back because I fell asleep reading Wikipedia again.
- Hit snooze.
- Sleep for 8 more minutes
- Try to figure out where annoying sound is coming form
- Remove said pet from legs again
- Locate phone that is still in my hand
- Utilize quick math skills to calculate if there is enough time to hit snooze again
- Terrible math skills wake me up enough to realize I need to get up.
- Look at phone notifications from Text/Facebook/Wordpress/Cnn while avoiding anything that says Trump, shutdown or wall
- Spend 2 mins trying to remember what Dr. appointment mom has that day
- Reassemble all hair that has fallen out of my pony tail and put it back
- Let dogs out for potty break
- Feed the overly dramatic cat before he goes on strike
- Potty break
- Re-evaluate whether I have time to go back to sleep for a minute
- Brush teeth
- Let dogs back in
- Get half way dressed
- Lay down In bed with clothes on until 2 minutes before we need to leave
- Swear to myself that I will go to bed at a reasonable hour tonigh.
You would think that at the age 31 I would be past the whole “But I don’t want to get up yet” tantrum, but yet here I am, rocking it.
So, Tell me readers, What does your morning routine look like?
Listen, I’m a frugal gal who likes to stick to a budget, so if I can get a steal of a deal, I will. Below are some of my favorite items I have acquired 2nd hand.
Every car I’ve ever owned! I imagine this will be a common response among people. The second you drive a new car off the lot it will depreciate by as much as 11% of its value, and can lose up to 30% in the first year (I googled that info. I’m not that smart I promise..) Now I’m not good with math or numbers…but 30% seems like a lot especially since no one drives cars until they die like people did when I was little. If you have the money to buy a brand-new car without a loan more power to you, but if you search and find a good deal on a used car that won’t let you down then WOOOHOOO!
Books, lots and lots of books! Even in college at the book store (or on ebay) I would hunt out the used books first. Now, as an adult and avid reader, I get a thrill from digging through the shelves of used book stores as well as Goodwill! I wanted a book at Barnes and Noble the other day, 18.99. Found it at a local bookstore for 4.50. “But Jennifer, the spine will already be bent and worn…” Um, what do you think I’m going to do to it? Read it with white gloves and turn the pages with tweezers? I read in bed, in the pool and in the bathtub, that book isn’t going to know what hit it when I’m done with it!
My Pets! This sounds weird, but stick with me on this one. Every pet I have had has been rescued by us or adopted from rescues. For one reason or another their original owners realized they couldn’t take care of their sweet faces anymore and humanely surrender them to shelters. We came along, fell in love and brought them home where they are showered with kisses and treats daily.
Suspects being held for questioning
So tell me readers, what is something you purchased used?
Oh I am SOOOO glad this question has come up, because I travel by air frequently and one of my biggest pet peeves in life takes place at airports, and it’s not the size of the pretzel/peanut bags they give us either. Let’s dive into this topic, shall we.
All people in the terminal will be strapped in to their seats once they arrive to their gate. When, and ONLY when their boarding group is called, will the seat belts be unlocked, and passengers will be allowed to stand in a single file line to have their ticket scanned to board the plane.
I don’t know if it’s the inability for 200 adults to follow simple directions or the traffic jam that is caused when everyone surrounds the boarding line like a football huddle, but I become filled with rage every time I fly. I mean, how hard is it? Look at your ticket, find your boarding group number, sit and relax and until the number on your ticket matches the number the gate agent has called out. They aren’t going to leave you behind if you’re at the right gate, and it’s not like your seat is going anywhere. (Double check first if you are flying United..) We all have tickets for the same flight and each of us has our own seat as well.
Also, I’m sure every major airline has conducted studies and focus groups on the best ways to load its passengers and have trained their flight crew to follow the best practice. Trust the process, they know what they are doing (most of the time).
Annoying traveler: “But Jennifer, I need to make sure I get on the plane before the overhead bin is full I only have carry-on luggage…”
Well annoying air traveler, I understand your concern, and this is a risk we all take when not checking luggage. If this is a recurring issue for you, try investing in a suitcase that fits underneath the seat in front of you, they make them now for this specific purpose and they are great. Also, worst case scenario, if the bins are full they will courtesy check your bag and it will go to your final destination or will be waiting on you when you get off the plane.
There you have it folks, my suggestion to all the airlines. I think they would also agree how frustrating it is when people don’t listen to directions and crowd the boarding area. Someone just needs to take matters into their own hands and “tighten the buckle”
What is something you would change to improve air travel, let me know below!
I have a strong feeling this post is going to cause a lot of my readers grief, but the truth must come out. I strongly dislike BACON. Actually, if I am being honest with myself, the only items from a pig that I eat willingly are hard salami and pepperoni. It’s not that I’ve taken some great vow for pig rights (no offense to those who have) but I don’t like the taste. Don’t get me wrong, I will eat it if offered to me or if my only option, but in all honesty, bacon leaves a taste on my tongue that I instantly feel like I need scrape off my with my teeth or with a butter knife (do not use a knife in public unless you want to look like cousin Eddy..).
How do my I know my readers are going to textually assault me on this? Because I’ve already received quite the beating on Facebook. If you have any type of social media you have no doubt seen the posts that say, “one must go.” This is the post I shared, and all hell broke loose on my Facebook feed. 20 different people commented with words and GIFS conveying their varying degrees of disapproval.
The good news for me is the whole comment section didn’t exactly gang up against my choice. The most common “go” item was sushi, but five brave souls said they could toss aside the donut and 1 sad soul said he could live a life without tacos (you are in my prayers lol ). He is married to my best friend, so I must forgive him of this sin, but it will be hard.
So, tell me readers, what food would you toss aside that most others love?
Exactly 2 months have passed since my 31st birthday and my public declaration to accomplish 10 tasks before my 32nd birthday. (Read that declaration here.) Today we are going to see what dent, if any, I have made on this lofty list.
Finish abandoned craft projects…
I can tell you right now I’ve already slightly failed at this one. Part of the terms of this task was that all of these would need to be finished before starting a new one. Yet at Christmas I gave out several handmade presents, so that ship has sailed. I will say I’ve got the box of my MLB coasters out and have finished 1 more. Welcome to the club Baltimore Orioles! Now to tackle the last 13, finish my Yellow Submarine cross stitch and start my MLB hexie quilt. sigh.
Learn to bake 3 new things…
Surprisingly I only have one more of these items to attempt. I made the noodles at Thanksgiving and while they were far from perfect, they were edible. (Their shapes, however left much to be desired), and the pie was featured on my Christmas eve post (a lovely poem that you can read HERE). That leaves us with bread and I must say, this one is going to have to wait for a while as my husband and I are on a bit of a carb cleanse. Sigh. Bread would be too much of a temptation. Don’t worry, still have 10 months for me to fall back into bad habits 😉
Complete 300 writing prompts
If you have been following my blog at all, you will already know that I have been trying to get these knocked out. I thought 10 months is a lot of “time” until I realized that there are only 365 days in a year to begin with. I’ve only completed 5 of the 300 prompts and after a quick check with the interwebs have found that there are only 305 days left until my birthday. Yikes, I should have started sooner or relaxed my goal a bit. We will see how this one turns out!
Finish the books I have before buying more…
The section right here is the real reason I haven’t accomplished much else on this bucket list. Again, I technically failed because while I only have 3 of these books left to read on this original list, I have bought and read almost 20 more books since. (Santa must be a librarian ;)) The good news is, it won’t take me long to get these 3 out-of-the-way in 10 months, so I feel less guilty reading other books in between.
For the sake of time, energy and my dignity, we are going to combine the rest of the bucket list tasks into one big block of idle failure…
- I’ve learned 4 notes on the piano, (last time I checked not a lot of hits can come from four basic notes played with one hand…)
- I have yet to change a tire, although I would rather to tackle this one when the weather is better…
- y todavía no puedo hablar español con fluidez.
- I haven’t found a spot to volunteer yet, but I have my eyes set on the local animal shelter (don’t tell my fur babies I’m cheating on them..)
- I have yet to join a small group at church, and while my anxiety is still partly to blame, timing is also a key culprit. Our churches small groups reset shortly after my birthday and start back up middle of January. Not giving up on this one yet!
As you can see I have a lot of work ahead of me! What something you are looking to complete this year or before your next birthday?